Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Memories Made Here

Happy Thanksgiving Chumps!  Sorry it's been a while since I've posted.  Days continue to fly by and I can hardly believe 'tis the season already!  I vowed this year not to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of it all but I can already feel the blood thickening in my veins and my pulse racing to think of all the shopping that I've put off until now.  Why I don't shop ahead is beyond me.  Oh well, one holiday at a time and I will make an effort to enjoy Thanksgiving Day/weekend with my family and live in THIS moment.
"Pull and breathe, kick and blow"-(our grade school swim coach's advice) is the mantra that Ken and I repeat to each other when things get a little dicey.
I've been chanting that phrase a lot lately.

Said it a few times tonight in fact making the 195th trip up and down our garage attic steps to dig out Christmas totes for decorating. As I was complaining about the lack of storage in our compact but precious bungalow and how much my aching back hurt, he reminded me that  Thanksgiving is upon us and to focus on the things for which I am thankful. I guess A#1 is thankfulness for a partner in life that helps remind me to stay centered and grateful for the blessings that I have.

Hoping that Thursday finds you hunkered down around a dining table with family and friends that you love.  I am looking forward to spending time with our extended family around my mom's table underneath a sign in her dining room that I painted years ago for her that says "Memories Made Here".
Looking foward to another year of Thanksgiving memories.

Thought I'd share some photos I swiped from a site that finds it's way to my email inbox every couple of weeks.  It's a link from "This Old House" magazine called "My Home Ideas" and I have so much fun scrolling through different sections .  Today, it was fitting that  the focus was dining rooms in honor of Thanksgiving.  I chose my favorites and wanted to share them with you...
Love everything about this look.

You know most of these are going to be devoid of color. LoVe, LOve, LOVE  texture!

Can you see a common theme? Slipcovered parsons chairs rock my world!
Not sure if I'm a fan of the light fixture above, but I do suprisingly like the plant!

I'm a huge fan of wreaths (above) hanging from interior windows. So pretty!

The bamboo drapery rods are a neat touch in the pic. above.

Are you thinking you might want your old dining chairs recovered? :)
Love this beefy looking table. Sisal rug underneath is classic and practical.

Again...wreaths on the windows....Love the patina on this dining set in an all white room. So clean and crisp. 

I'm not usually drawn to patterned rugs but this adds some drama to the room.  Of course my favorite part of the room is the ceiling!

Okay, here's some color for you.  How fun to use small settees as your bench seating!

Had to get some grey in here somewhere. Unique idea to stop the wall color 3/4 of the way up without a trim piece.  I think I like it!

Quirky, modern, but still warm.
Outdoor rooms as dining areas as well.  Not in Michigan this time of year, but we can still dream and drool.

I always love a good window nook or banquet.  Make sure to use "Sunbrella"-indoor/outdoor fabric on pillows and cushions  to prevent fading. 

Simple but beautiful!!

Simple pillowcase slipcovers on the chairs.  Love that the dog print ties all the colors in the room together. 

Chumps, I'll leave you with another 'sign' that I gave my mom several years ago at Christmas.  May we all remember this when we gather on Thursday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment