Saturday, November 10, 2012

Projects, Product, Progress

A couple garage/workshop projects that we completed this week.  We used to do a bunch of these but haven't in a while. My friend Kim ordered one our 'door headboards' for her new house they just built.  We had this red door in storage for years and dug it out for the transformation. 
Ken cut down the sides to make it symmetrical and added crown molding to the top. 

Legs were added and eventually cut down to accomodate the specs of her bed frame and transom windows that would be above it.

I primed and painted the entire thing "Ivory White" by Ben Moore, my 'go-to' soft white.

A little distressing and you have an inexpensive king-sized headboard with character!

Another fun project was this farm style natural maple dining table that my friend and fellow Chump, Renee had in her basement.  This past year we have been working together on finishing her lower level and I discovered this piece and told her not to get rid of it, that we could bring it back to life.

It was being used by her husband as a work/prep table for all his projects down there and it also had a good run as their kids' craft table so it had it's fair share of scars.

I sanded the whole table down with my orbital power sander. A girl's best friend in situations like this.
I was happy that it cleaned up pretty well!
Gone are the scratches, drywall mud and crayon marks.
I painted the apron of the table my 'go-to' black..."Benjamin Moore's metal/wood latex enamel".
Couldn't live without that paint.

I wanted a rustic and casual look so I stained the top walnut using a min-wax stain from Ace Hardware.

I normally don't stain for other people, but we had nothing to lose on this one. I love how the stain took unevenly to give it even more of a farmhouse planked look.

I finished it off with four coats of satin polyurthane. I'll have to take a pic of the whole thing put together with the black farmstyle legs in place.
Fun and rewarding project.

Also, wanted to show you my staged booth at Not So Shabby during our Holiday Open House/ Grand re-Opening this weekend.
I was there for a couple of hours on Friday night and saw so many Chumps I haven't seen in a while. Thank you for following us to our new location!
I am loving the venue in spite of a longer drive for me. We are getting great exposure and positive feedback.
Weird to not be doing my annual tag sale, but my decision has been confirmed in many different ways these past few months. You Chumps are keeping me plenty busy which I love!











Make sure to stop in often over the next few weeks. New Christmas items will be added weekly. Enjoy your weekend Chumps!

0 comments:

Post a Comment