Thursday, February 3, 2011

All In the Family

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times...one of my favorite things about my job is getting to know new clients who become my friends.  Remember my post about my friend Debbi, better known to me and a few others as "DC"?  Well, the next blog entry (master bedroom addition) was the project I'm working on with her sister-n-law Lynda, and ironically, this particular post is about her other sis-n-law, Sarah.  It's 6 degrees of separation (and much less in this instance) with my business.  I LOVE the fact that most of my clients are connected to other clients, other sisters, cousins, co-workers, etc.  It's a massive game of "Dutch Bingo" here in West Michigan and I love to play!
Well, yesterday, Sarah calls me in a panic to say that she needed a unique baby shower gift and inquired if I had an approprite sign for the occasion.  Because I've been so busy, I don't have a ton of inventory on hand, especially signs, because I find that people like to specify size and color.  However, because I love my "Baby Z"- Sarah...(yes, I know, I have nicknames for everyone)....I wanted to make her something to give her friend.
I started by painting over a board I already had.  It was originally painted red.  I chose my favorite creamy white color, Benjamin Moore, "Ivory White"...as you can see, I use it often and  typically go through a gallon every couple of months.  Good to the last drop...

I printed out a saying that I googled off the internet about 'Baby Quotes' and printed it in a favorite font, "Pea Henner".  I then cut the words apart and spaced them out to fit two different sized boards in landcape and portrait.


I use black carbon paper to trace the saying onto the board and outline with a paint marker.  This is the carbon copy.


This isn't how I do all my signs.  I cut stencils for most of them, but with a thin font this technique works the best. 

When I'm finished painting, I distress the edges with my sander and 'dry brush' stain over the whole thing to age it a bit.

I'll be bringing the vertical one to the store this weekend to sell.


Sarah also wondered if I had anything different or quirky to put it in and I had just the thing...an antique wire basket with some burlap that I bought at an estate sale.  She and her friend are going to fill it with books, and other little gifts for the new mom-to-be.
Thanks for you support of my business, Debbi, Lynda and Sarah...You're a special family and I "Love you all the numbers in the world"! :)


Here's a scrap piece of wood I found lying in our garage in a stack of reclaimed boards.  I loved the old patina on it so I traced a saying that I had printed a while ago...I had the supplies out.so I just kept going.

My daughter, Brecken didn't see the same beauty that I saw in the worn wood and said, "Oh, Mom. I would never buy that one"!  Maybe she's right, but what did I have to lose?

One thing she did approve of was this heart that I made out of an old chenille bedspread.  She claimed this one for her bedroom, but I'm hoping to bring a few smaller ones to "Not So Shabby" at some point.

I think I'm finally ready to part with my dining room lamp. I have matching parsons chairs that were slipcovered in this exact fabric, so I am so hesistant to sell this lamp knowing that I can't find the same fabric again.  Someone once asked me if it's hard to let go of some pieces and most often the answer is no.  I am not very attached to things, but whoever bought the amazing bluish/green chenille spread at this year's tag sale...I want it back! :) 

Now I'll leave you with a preview of spring.  After our mini blizzard yesterday, I found myself appreciating the reminders of a new season that gets uncovered after a dark, cold winter. Every year (in the four years that we've been at this house, a robin builds a new nest in the rung of an old antique ladder that hangs from my neighbor's ivy covered detached garage. Every year after the baby robins are hatched, I remove the nest and put it on display.  This year, a leftover egg is an added suprise and a symbol of new life.  Think Spring!

0 comments:

Post a Comment