Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Over Oak....


BEFORE:
 AFTER:
 At the risk of sounding like an 'oak basher', I can't help but continue to post my amazement at what a transformation a couple cans of paint and a couple thousand dollars will do to bring new life to a dark, outdated oak kitchen. Many of you have husbands who are wood purists-those whom would never dream of taking paint brush to oak, and I get that....(well, I don't really get that because I'll slap paint on just about anything if I'm sick of it) but I do understand where you're coming from. You don't want to give up the natural look, the warmth of wood, the rustic element of it....

But I'm back here again to try to convince you.....


 









 The woodwork was a mixture already of wood and white, but the fireplace mantle was oak. We had the entire box painted white for a fresh, seamless look.

 In this family room below (which is NOT the same room as above)-but same house, the tile inset was NAVY BLUE.  We had the painter PAINT the tile. Yes, I said that right. We had nothing to lose, and we painted the tile a light beige to allow ourselves not to be so locked into the blue in that room anymore. We loved how it turned out!

I wish I had taken more 'before' shots of how dark the spaces were before we lighted everything up with a color called "Inspire Awe". It's a Clark & Kensington color I used on my own kitchen cabinets. It complimented her granite island beautifully and softened the look of not only the kitchen, but 
allowed us the new freedom to go darker on a kitchen table. We have a great Art Van story to tell about the slipcovered parsons chairs on the ends of the dining table, but that's for another day. :)

The homeowner, Deanna, was so great to work with-she knew what she wanted-she just needed the extra nudge to get there. 

So glad she decided to commit to it. She loves the finished product and so do I. 
Do I have you (or your husband) convinced yet? 
Yes, you know who you are. :)
wink, wink.

0 comments:

Post a Comment