Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Transformation Tuesday-Backyard Deck

Hope you're enjoying this long- awaited burst of summer like weather! This past holiday weekend was amazing here in Michigan and we took full advantage of the temps by working our fool heads off every waking minute until the local Memorial day parade on Monday morning at 9 A.M.
Kennedy-scrubbing the siding
 Emerson-Brecken's friend and my adopted third 'daughter'-earning her keep

We pulled weeds, moved shrubs, shoveled and spread bark, mowed and fertilized the lawn, bought flowers, watered flowers, tore off a deck, built a deck, shopped for outdoor furniture, bought outdoor furniture, opened the pool, cleaned the pool....
All the while on the inside, we actually had contractors-real live contractors, NOT US, doing a project in our house. This is only the fourth hired crew we've had since moving into this house seven years ago, and after the pace of their work and lack of work ethic, I think I'll keep my husband/contractor thankyouverymuch.

I found it ironic that even with the sign hanging in our kitchen says, "You must be present to win", they were hardly ever present.  
I guess slow and steady wins the race-but usually around here that's not the case. more and faster is usually the standard. :)

No complaints now that it's finished, but there was lots of mumbling under my breath during the process.
Remember my old/new bamboo? Water damage from a leaky fridge caused this mess a month ago.
Here's my new engineered hardwood flooring. Very similar to the look of bamboo, but less red, more grey. (The original bamboo was discontinued).


I'm so happy to have my kitchen back.  Not so happy to have to wash floors again. :)

Wanted to show you the beginning of our backyard transformation.  Initially, when we moved into this house, we had built a small 12x12 deck that essentially became just a walking 'pass through' to the cement patio by the pool. We had talked for a while about expanding it to make it more functional for eating/relaxing. 
After being cooped up all winter, this was the year to do it. I am spending as much time outside this summer as I possibly can and what better way than to eat, work and play on a new deck?
Here's the old....
Notice the ornamental tree to the right. I struggled with the decision to remove it or not, but it had to go in order to expand.  We had tried transplanting a similar one last year and it didn't survive, and as much as I love and can be a 'tree-hugger', this one wouldn't be saved either. The root ball was just too darn big and Ken was just too darn impatient. and i don't blame him. That was lots of digging.
This is so not the same angle. I'm such a loser, but hopefully you get the drift.

The pic above shows the exact area where the tree was removed.

 This pic below is a better angle of the length of the new deck.  Its now 14x30.(I think).
Here's the view from inside the slider in our family room. 

 We found this lounging set at Target and were thrilled to find it significantly on sale the day we bought it. (Two lounge chairs and a loveseat). We also bought the outdoor rug and lumber pillows from there. 



Remember this grille gazebo that we found at a garage sale last year? Placed it here over the weekend and that's where it'll stay I think. (Shhh, planning on getting Ken a new grill for father's day).
 Found this outdoor dining set at The Home Depot in Grandville.  This was the floor model they were showcasing with the red cushions. You could choose different color seat cushions and I would've (i burnt myself out on red years ago and can only take it small doses), but I was too impatient to special order it. I do think it ties in nicely with our house color and my 'feel the zeel' sign!

Here are some other pieces we considered before settling on what we did:
Lowe's.

 I want to go back and get this deck box. First night with the cushions out and I was up at midnight bringing them all inside when I saw lightening in the distance!
  I thought these conversation chairs were interesting and unique. They were actually really comfortable. And no cushions to take on and off. Bonus!
 Our game plan for this weekend is to build a pergola over the left side of the deck (seating, not dining) area.  Ken is actually motivated to do this already after we had so much fun enjoying a pool party with friends and family yesterday and seeing how often that area was used, (with people cramming under the umbrella for shade).
Here's a similar style to what we're thinking:





 This is where the pergola will attach to: The white upper trim of the slider. 
 And rest on pillars at the edge of the deck by the loveseat.
We're gonna keep out high pub table out here. 
 But we're selling our sturdy round table here:
Email me if you're interested. $100. I touched up the stain last year, but it needs a good touch up again.  It's sturdy as ever and in great shape. We think it may have been a Pottery Barn collection but aren't sure. Bought it last year at a sale.
Well off to take a nap after the weekend we had. :)
Worth all the work up front if it helps us relax a little more when the work is done for the day. Stay tuned for round 2 this weekend.


One step up and two steps back. :)










1 comments:

Unknown said...

Wicked! It seems like you had a very rewarding day. The bunch of stuff may be a burden, but you can compensate for them well, no matter their disparate weights and volume are. It's all in the handling. Keep that up. I'll look forward to further renovations of your house in the future.

Pedro Padro @ Orbit

Post a Comment