Sunday, September 15, 2013

Junky to Funky



Okay, there is absolutely no design purpose to posting a picture of this adorable puppy, but as I was scrolling through previous file folders, I stumbled upon it and couldn't resist. 
Now, if that doesn't cheer you up on a gloomy, wet Sunday, I don't know what will. 
I had snapped this shot while walking downtown Holland during their weekly 'street performer series'. 
I am blanking on the name of the breed, but every time I see it, it makes me smile.

Quick post tonight. I have lots more projects in my garage that I'll be working on this week, so I'll be sure to get some before/afters for you. 
Here's a quick insider look at one of the "junky to funky" pieces that needed some TLC 
here at Room for Change.
Start with a $5 estate sale chair that was cracked, chipping and without a seat.
Those legs are shapely, huh?
Paint it with a charcoal grey-"Kendall Charcoal" to be exact. (Ben Moore)
flat sheen.-three coats. Distress the edges and curves with sandpaper.
Using a foam brush, slap on some dark walnut Minwax stain.
Rub in and rub off with a soft cloth.
Have assistant (aka husband) cut you a new seat out of plywood and cover that with soft batting and vintage fabric from the same estate sale where you purchased said chair. 
Enjoy the end product:

I still need to seal it with a layer of Bri-wax this week. Not ready to part with it yet but may be in the booth someday.
I love the fabric the most. I bought the whole bolt. 
Guys, it's so yummy! The damask pattern is dimensional/raised and super thick. Not just a knock-off home dec. fabric from Joanne's.
I promise you'll be seeing lots more items adorned with this pattern soon. 

Hmmm, what can I cover next with it? I don't have enough to sew drapes.
Wouldn't that look smashing? 



0 comments:

Post a Comment